Treatment of white hair: everything you need to know about
Gray hair or white hair is a common occurrence – your hair will change as you age, just like your skin. But before we get into the various gray hair treatment options available, how does hair actually lose its color? Hair follicles, the little sacs that line your skin cells, contain melanin. Melanin or pigment cells are responsible for the color of your skin as well as your hair. Over time, the follicles lose the pigment, resulting in gray or white hair.
If you just saw your first strand of grey hair or are confused by the number of grays on your head, the good news is that white hair treatment is possible. Read on to find out more.
1. Treatment of white hair: understand the causes of white hair
2. Treatment of white hair: Prevention and reversal of premature white hair
3. Natural remedies for the treatment of white hair
4. Treatment of white hair: stop damaging your hair
5. Get enough vitamins for white hair treatment
6. Get enough minerals for white hair treatment
7. FAQ: Treatment of white hair
Treatment of white hair: understand the causes of white hair
Dermatologist Dr. Meeta Desai explains that white or gray hair is considered a sign of aging, or other reasons could be genetics, UV damage, pollution, inflammation, emotional factors, and more. The role of reactive oxygen species (ROS), which is often associated with oxidative stress, is also being studied for the treatment of white hair. “Premature graying is defined as hair graying before age 30 in African Americans; among Indians, loss of hair pigmentation before age 25 can be considered early ageing,” she adds.
Point: If you are looking for ways to turn your white hair black, focus on the reversible factors and work on them.
White Hair Treatment: Prevention and Reversal of Premature White Hair
Dr. Desai says it is possible to stop or delay white hair by eating healthy foods. “Maintain a Balanced diet rich in protein, vitamins, minerals. Also quit smoking and alcohol consumption for white hair treatment,” She adds.
If you are taking other medications, check with your doctor to make sure gray hair is not a side effect. Be sure to wear UV protective serums, caps or use an umbrella in the sun. Avoid pollution or cover your hair when outdoors in polluted air. Lead an active lifestyle and reduce stress, which, in turn, will reduce the ROS. Dr. Desai suggests, “Talk to your dermatologist for advice on supplements or serums to delay graying and treatment for white hair to turn black. Shampoos containing antioxidants like vitamin C and E will prove helpful, as will products containing green tea extract, selenium, copper and phytoestrogens..”
Point: Take care of your health and it will show in how your hair looks and feels.
Natural remedies for the treatment of white hair
Try these home remedies for white hair:
- Coconut oil is a good white hair treatment oil. Massage it into your scalp and hair every other night; shampoo the next morning.
- Use clarified butter or ghee twice a week to massage the scalp and hair.
- Twice a week, apply onion juice to your scalp and shampoo after 30 minutes.
- Grind a bunch of curry leaves with 2 teaspoons each of amla powder and Brahmi powder. Apply this hair mask on scalp and hair, and shampoo after one hour. This is one of the natural remedies for white hair that works!
- Another white hair treatment oil to use is amla oil; massage the hair with once a week.
Point: DIY hair remedies using all-natural ingredients are the best! They offer effective results without side effects.
Treatment of white hair: stop damaging your hair
You’ve probably heard that you shouldn’t pull out your white hair. Dr. Desai says, “Pulling out a few strands is fine, but if you keep doing it, it will eventually lead to volume loss.” She also advises:
- Stop smoking
- Avoid fad diets and junk food; eat healthy to eat well
- Avoid unnecessary medications
- Control stress
- Change your sedentary lifestyle
Point: Follow healthy habits and a simple hair care routine that works for you.
Get enough vitamins for white hair treatment
As mentioned, eating healthy foods can delay premature graying of hair. Below are the essential vitamins that you should include in your diet.
- Vitamin A: It helps in the production of sebum or oil, produced by the sebaceous glands under the skin. The sebum retains the healthy scalp and hair and nourished.
- Vitamin C: This antioxidant protects cells from oxidative damage, keeping them healthy.
- B vitamins: B6 and B12 are two of the B-complex vitamins that improve the health of skin and hair. Vitamin B6 is known to restore hair’s original color following disease or deficiency.
- Para-amino benzoic acid (PABA) and pantothenic acid delay hair aging. Along with folic acid, the latter can reverse graying. Niacin promotes circulation to the scalp which nourishes the hair follicles. Inositol promotes hair growth and health, while biotin produces keratin, a major component of hair.
Point: Include vitamins that improve hair health in your diet as part of your premature gray hair treatment.
Get enough minerals for white hair treatment
Besides vitamins, you also need minerals to support the health of your hair. Here’s what to add to your diet:
- Iron: Eat lentils, dark green leafy vegetables, dates, jaggery
- Copper: Peanuts, almonds, lentils, white mushrooms, dark chocolate
- Calcium: dairy products, dark green leafy vegetables
- Zinc: Beans, whole grains
Point: For the premature treatment of white hair, it is imperative to eat nutritious food.
FAQ: Treatment of white hair
Q. Can white hair turn back to black?
A. Yes, if hair graying is linked to nutritional deficiencies, pollution, stress, discoloration and other reversible factors. If you are looking for white hair in young age and treatment options, note that it is not possible to reverse genetic or age-related graying..
Q. How can I permanently remove white hair?
A. Your best bet is to work towards living a healthy lifestyle to control the factors that cause hair graying. Other than that, you can turn to hair coloring to cover up gray hair.. Visible white hair on the body or face can be effectively and permanently removed by electrolysis.
Q. Does lemon make hair white?
A. Lemon juice contains citric acid, which is a natural oxidizing agent that works similarly to bleach in removing pigment from hair. So avoid using this ingredient too often in your hair packs or as a treatment for white hair. Remember to stay indoors after using lemon juice on hair, as sunlight can speed up the bleaching process.
Q. What foods turn white hair black?
A. Along with adding the list of vitamins and minerals mentioned above to your diet, be sure to eat plenty of protein-rich foods. This macronutrient is found in soybeans and grains like buckwheat, oats, quinoa, millet, and amaranth, and stimulates melanin production in the body.
People Who Viewed This Also Viewed